FAQ - Producers
Why should I use Gyroskope?
It’s the best way to get paid for your work.
Unless you are one of the lucky few who get a movie or TV deal, you probably need a way to monetize your content.
The choices are:
1. Upload to a video sharing site
2. Go through a middle-man
3. Sell from your website
- Video Sharing Sites:
most video sharing sites use an advertising model, which means when someone watches your video, advertising revenue is generated - for the site, not for the producer.
re-sellers and aggregators keep a big chunk of your change, usually around 50%.
- Your Website:
you can sell downloads or DVDs from your website. But we built Gyroskope so you don’t have to do that. Gyroskope is a distribution platform that allows your fans to access their purchased content from any connected, supported device, and enjoy it in a premium, ad-free environment. Gyroskope solves all of the issues of payment transactions, storage, bandwidth, access, permissions, etc., so you can focus on producing content.
No. That’s your money.
How do I get paid for my videos?
You will receive a credit to your payment method (credit card) at the beginning of your monthly billing cycle. If your sales revenue is greater than your Gyroskope fees, you will receive a payment. If your sales revenue is less than your Gyroskope fees, your Gyroskope fees will be offset by the amount of your sales revenue.
How much does it cost to use Gyroskope?
1. Monthly fee
2. Credit card transaction fees
3. Additional bandwidth
- Monthly fee: your pricing plan selected at signup, based on your estimated storage and bandwidth needs.
- Credit card transaction fees: when a fan makes a purchase with a credit card, the payment processing company charges us 2.08% plus .35 cents per transaction. This is a straight pass-through expense; Gyroskope is not marking it up.
- Additional bandwidth usage: if you need more bandwidth in any given month but don’t want to change your plan, Gyroskope will automatically provide it as needed in 100GB increments. Additional bandwidth will show up on your next billing cycle at $30 per 100GB.
What if I go over my bandwidth in my plan?
If you need more bandwidth in any given month but don’t want to change your plan, Gyroskope will automatically provide it as needed in 100GB increments. Additional bandwidth will show up on your next billing cycle at $30 per 100GB.
What if I need more storage?
Additional storage for your media files can be purchased in 5GB increments for $5/ month.
Do I have to sign a contract?
You have to agree to the Terms of Service and Service Agreement when you create a producer account, but there is no long-term commitment.
Can I cancel anytime?
Yes. Gyroskope is a month-to-month deal.
What happens to my fans if I cancel my Gyroskope account?
If you do decide to cancel, your fans will receive a notification that after thirty days any titles purchased from you will no longer be available in their online Gyroskope collection, but will be given an opportunity to download those titles.
Does distributing my content on Gyroskope prevent me from other distribution or licensing options?
No. It’s your content. Gyroskope is a non-exclusive platform.
How do you keep fans from stealing?
As a cloud-based streaming service, there is a level of protection inherent in Gyroskope, versus a file download service. For additional protection, Gyroskope monitors traffic and IP addresses for excessive usage. Accounts suspected of abuse will be notified and/ or terminated.
Can fans download?
Although Gyroskope is primarily a digital media streaming service, there are certain instances in which fans will be permitted to download a file:
1. If a producer cancels their Gyroskope account, fans who have purchased titles from that producer will be notified and have an opportunity to download any purchased titles.
2. If a user plays a particular title 500 times, he/ she will be asked to download that title to prevent further bandwidth usage.
What file formats are accepted?
Most common video formats are accepted: mov, mp4, m4v, wmv, avi, etc. If you have a special format request, please contact us from the support page. Support
What is the playback data rate?
Gyroskope will convert and stream your titles at a fixed data rate of 1,500 kbps. User-selectable quality settings are currently in development.
Is there a file size limit
The file size limit of an upload is currently 2GB